QLD $1500 for electric HWS install only?!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by gman65, 20th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

So the electric HWS on one of my places is going.. about 6 months before I am going to sell the place (of course!) and both quotes so far obtained by the PM are $2300 inc installation. It is under the house which is a bit of a rubbish spot, but still, seems ridiculously expensive.

But I did some digging... and I know that the exact units they are proposing to install can be purchased for $760.. which leaves like nearly $1500 install costs (minus maybe $300 materials at most). Even one of the quotes say it's a half/day job, so that makes it a $300/hr rate!

I know Plumbers gotta buy their Raptors, but seriously?

Anybody know a good Northside plumber in Brisbane can charge what I would expect? at about $150/hr + the actual unit cost.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

sounds very reasonable for the description you've given maybe try airtasker or gumtree if you're wanting a cheap plumber?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I paid $1,500 for the supply and installation of a new and large electric hot water storage tank - in Melbourne in mid-2021. Labour component was probably about $500. It included disposal of the old tank.

Firefly99 likes this.
  4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Try Bunnings HWS install service.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I used North Lakes Plumbing - $1,731.40 for a 250L Rheem Aquamax supplied and installed

6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Assuming it would need its own 32A circuit, I'd be surprised if installation was more than $500 unless there are serious access issues for running the cable.

Disposal is easy, leaving them on the nature strip for a couple days does the trick for me - scrappies come pick them up.

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Had one replaced in similar sounding conditions - $2,480.00 +gst but that included some electrical upgrade as well (older house).

Give Mayo Solutions a call on 0401669900

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

North Lakes Plumbing recommendation from me too.

9. dontask

dontask Member

If the old HWS is old then you may pay to wire it up to code. Does the new HWS have the same element size as the old one? eg: 1.8kw, 2.4kw, 3.6kw? If so, they don't need an electrician. Does the old tempering valve still work? If not, then you have to buy a new one. What about the base? Is it sittin on an old wooden base that needs upgrading? Are they upgrading to concrete base?

In my experience, the cheapest way to replace HWS is to find out the size of the old element, buy a similar size hot water system that element size, and have it delivered. Get your plumber in and pay him an hourly rate. Then get the old HWS removed by someone on airtasker. Done.

ChrisP73, Beano and Ben20 like this.
  10. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys..

I know it needs to be replaced, for like a few months before sale, spending top dollar when I maybe don't need to seems a waste.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  11. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

I've had a hot water system burst on the morning that the property was going to settle !!

Luckily, the purchaser wasn't a narc and agreed to go 50/50 with the vendor, otherwise it would've been a big tussle between solicitors etc.

That said, I'd rather have a hot water system go in the morning rather than just before close of business on a Friday afternoon (I've had a handful of them in my time too).

gman65 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. Russell Peter

Russell Peter Active Member

Make sure they put in the form 4 compliancy - Hot water heater replacement compliance

40% of hot water systems are installed incorrectly. sometimes saving $300 can cost you a lot more in the long run. we have had counsel inspect a number of our installs in the past 12 months.

No issues found but they are ramping up the checks..

Some of the key defects identified include:

• insufficient insulation on inlet and outlet of the hot water heater
    • no tempering valve installed, or not set to the correct temperature
    • safe trays are not installed, or the base is not correctly supported
    • insufficient valves installed (includes temperature pressure-relief valves, isolating valves and cold-water expansion valves)
    • overflow lines not discharging to an approved point
    • incorrect orientation of solar collectors for solar hot water systems; and
    • failing to lodge a Form 4 on completion of the work.

we use Norhtlakes plumbing if need.

qak, Beano and gman65 like this.
  13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Agree price is exorbitant unless it's an exceptionally difficult position? I get 125L systems installed for $1,430 inc GST on jobs that don't have extra complications. You can add $50 for a tray, but it includes all new valvetrain and F4. The new systems are much more efficient than the old ones too, I've never had a complaint about a 125L system on anything up to an average 4-Bed house.

gman65 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  14. Russell Peter

Russell Peter Active Member

the last hot water system we replaced. in Hawthorne QLD last weekend.

For the removal of existing hot water unit & for the supply & installation of new 125L Aquamax hot water unit, pipework, lagging, valve train & fittings etc. Price includes payment & lodgement of Form 4 to council. TOTAL AUD 1,375.0

Tom Rivera and gman65 like this.
  15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Northlakes Plumbing came back with a great price so I'm going with them

This is a 160L under the house job, so is going to be more fiddly to replace, maybe the other guys didn't want to deal with the smaller space, or really busy.

Thanks guys, saved me nearly $500. Shows it really is worth shopping around at times.