NSW 15 New Priority Precincts for Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Moltzerman, 3rd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

I have high hopes for Schofields Town Centre when it is eventually connected to the NW Metro.

Tekoz likes this.
  2. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Ha yeah ok so some stigma really does die hard. The Lakemba police station shooting was 20 years ago and the guys that did it are all either dead or in gaol. As i said, most people can't get passed things to see potential. As for the bad drivers on King Georges Road, seriously they could be from anywhere. I drive into the city every day, believe me there is no shortage of DH's there either.

Cmelderis likes this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Most of them are back out and back to their old tricks.
    Why do you think there are so many raids on the same house.

The bad drivers are locals who are turning onto King Georges Rd to head to work etc. This one had his two kids in the car he was dropping off at Wiley Park girls.

I don't deny there is potential for Lakemba - Wiley Park - Punchbowl.... everything has potential over the longer term - question is how long will it take.

Not sure if you live in the area or just have investment properties there, but i'm there 4 days a week and have been doing so over the last 17 years. Not much has changed. Houses everywhere have gotten more expensive, but so has the rest of Sydney. Blocks in Punchbowl are rather large at 700-900sqm, makes it easier for duplexes.

I will also add that Bankstown is the only council I have called where the town planner has hinted that its not worth writing an objection due to the type of people who own the house.

When a member of the family who was in a hit and run, even the coppers on scene said are you sure you want to file a claim, you do know where you are right now.

Not sure I can say I've been to other areas of Sydney where such warnings from police and councils have been given.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I asked my uncle who lives in the area when he renovated and extended his house - do you have council approval.
    He said, no.
    I asked him if he was concerned about his neighbours complaining.
    His reply was, what makes you think their extensions are legal.

That's the kind of attitude you get in the area. Until that attitude moves along, its hard to say it will when it will gentrify.

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. Inov8ive

That is just ridiculous. What does that even mean? Oh ok your uncle who builds things without council approval is the yard stick for an entire postcode. Please.

Cmelderis and JohnnyS like this.
  6. Inov8ive

No they aren't. Do some research. It was the gang DK's boys. Danny Karam. He is dead. Michael Kanaan among other senior members are in gaol for life.

7. Moltzerman

Moltzerman Well-Known Member

There's been little to no drama lately around Belmore and Lakemba.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

You don't live in the area do you?

In previous posts in other threads you've indicate that you own properties in the area. Every time a thread on Lakemba / Punchbowl comes up, you're one of the initial posters talking up the suburb - appears to me there is a vested interest. But feel free to disagree.

I gave one example of the attitude towards illegal structures, I know of many more in the area - ones that council are aware of and happily ignore.

So I gather you know how to use google and have watched gangs of oz.

If what you say is true I guess the area must be clear of the rift raf. Guess cops and polair must be visiting for fun.

ndpjai likes this.
  9. Inov8ive

I do own in the area but I don't live there. I don't think I would live there, I am not in denial with the issues and the demographics in the area. But I also base my investment decisions on facts rather things that people's uncle's friends neighbours say. You can say all these things about crime in the area but the truth is that the crime rates the Lakemba/Wiley Park area are not even in the top 10 for worst in Sydney. Places like The CBD, Redfern, Campbelltown, Auburn, Liverpool are much worse statistically. There is a load of investment coming to the area, the place has a long way to go but I am very optimistic. You obviously don't believe that the urban renewal and metro extension will boost this area, you don't see this pocket as undervalued but I do. Time will prove who is right and Hopefully we don't have to wait too long.

JohnnyS likes this.
  10. JohnnyS

JohnnyS Member

I also have a vested interest in the area so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt. I think it's important to make judgements through objective data and avoid anecdotal experiences being the foundation for sweeping arguments.

Data from the Bureau of Crime & Statistics shows lower levels of crime across Punchbowl & Lakemba across an array of offences. The data is also based on crimes committed per capita.
    Crime Maps | BOCSAR

Again, the area definitely has its issues but for me, the following outweigh the negatives:
    • Infrastructure project upgrading the Bankstown line. A train into the city every 4 minutes from Bankstown.
    • Proximity to the city and major road networks in close proximity.
    • Urban renewal of the main precincts with new zoning around the station area.
    • Extremely low vacancy rates and you can still get 4% + yields.
    • Capital growth is lagging behind surrounding suburbs.
    • Across any major global city, inner city suburbs are highly valued as eventually gentrification will take place. Inov8tive used Tower Hamlets as a good example. Nobody wanted to live in Brooklyn or the Bronx once upon a time.
    Downsides:
    • Perceived non inclusiveness of Islamic areas. This is by far the biggest factor.
    • Rubbish on streets, council needs to start fining people for this ****. This includes tonnes of letters being dumped on units

Inov8ive likes this.
  11. Smasher

Smasher Well-Known Member

That's hardly indicitive of that area. Go to the trendy inner west or inner east or even lower north shore, virtually every-single-federation / edwardian / victorian home has an extension that by my guess was built in the post war period that coincided with the introduction of plumbed sewerage. No such thing as DA's back then. Of course councils arent doing anything about them now.

As for new extensions, when I built my back deck the builder told me that my council will simply issue me with a $2000 fine if the neighbours complain. Lodging a DA would have cost more than that. What do you think I did?

Inov8ive likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The only issue about the data on crime is that it can only be based on reported crime, not unreported ones.

When police come to question they are faced with a wall of silence. I'm sure you're smart enough to understand why.

The only real thing that has changed is that people have got older and wiser.

So if all you are basing an area on is what train / metro line is coming in, how many churches, skewed crime rates, sure, if it's published as stats it must be true right?

ndpjai likes this.
  13. Inov8ive

Well its true, you are correct, stats and data can always be skewed or incorrect. However, i am still pretty sure I would rather base my investment decisions on this data along with the impending infrastructure and transport upgrades over something your uncle's neighbour may or may not have done to their house and a bad driver who may or may not have resided in said postcode.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Either comprehensive isn't your strong point, or you simply like picking out the parts that support your argument about how great the area is - not bad considering you've got minimal ground exposure. You can carry on about my one example of dodgy building I've given, or you can open your eyes to what's really there.

Either way, its your investment, your choice. Just stop raving how its a great area for growth - its pretty simple to see you're only keen on spruiking with the aim of pushing up its value for your own personal benefits.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Really? A deck under certain sizes is exempt & fees are minimal. It will cost you more in a reduction of resale value than what it cost to build and get approvals.

16. Inov8ive

I'll say it's a great area for growth all i want thanks Hitler. This is an open forum isn't it? For someone who hates the area so much you seem to be very present in every thread containing this postcodeo_O Shouting down anyone who dares to offer, god forbid actual data and infrastructure spending. How would you know what on the ground experience i have??? You have proven yourself to be someone who is incapable of making and proving your argument. Its all based on garbage you heard somehow that doesn't really have any bearing on well anything really. Its clear you hate the area. We get it, not all of us do and unless you have something insightful or relevant to add, kindly let the rest of us have our opinion!:mad:

17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

You only seem to talk about the positives without the negatives. A very biased opinion - I'm guessing because there is a ulterior motive.

You can continue to say its great for growth, and I'll continue to point out the negatives to help balance it out so others can make an informed decision.

So my data is based on garbage that I heard? Nevermind the 17 years I've spent in the area, that must count for nought because the information you get from the newspaper written by someone who probably doesn't spend a lot of time is better.

You talk about how the metro is going to change everything. There's an existing train line. It runs to the city. For the majority of train services, if you're heading over the bridge, its a walk across the platform - not down the stairs and up again at Central. Yet some how you think a direct train over the bridge is going to be the golden ticket.

The trains in peak on that line aren't even anywhere close to the capacity you see on the Western lines.... unless its raining and 3 trains in a row have been cancelled... then its as packed as the Western Line.

Oh and did you know they are closing down the train line for a few years to make this metro happen? Not exactly appealing for commuters.

The growth that is going to happen is simply time - yet you carry on each thread like these infrastructure changes is the greatest thing that's is going to happen and make the area a gold mine for capital growth.

So rather than pretending what you're regurgitating from online is actually insightful how about you provide a story for both sides of the equation.

As for your ground experience on the area - I welcome more ground experience you can share...

I've worked in the area previously and grew up in the area. I still spend a lot of time in the area. It is home to me. But that doesn't stop me from being impartial and letting others know what its actually like.

Loverenting likes this.
  18. Inov8ive

This is getting very close to comical. You just make up stories or you hear something and then fill in the blanks yourself. The train line will close for 6 months not a few years!!! SERIOUSLY it takes a couple of minutes to google something before you embarrass yourself. You make a point about trains not being packed in peak hour- like its a bad thing?? The transport on the Canterbury line into the city is already quite good and sure the metro will make it better but this has never been my point. Have you read the plans for each area on the Sydenham to Bankstown renewal corridor??? The whole place is being rezoned to create retail and mixed use precint, a mixture of low and high rise apartments as well as green space. I state that this is the start of the gentrification. At no point do I ever try to talk up the area as if it was Point Piper. Its just you with all your quite frankly ridiculous statements. The Lakemba police station shooting was 20 years ago, let go mate. I know the place has issues. Like i said, i wouldn't live there. Not my cup of tea, but i don't feel unsafe there either. To be honest the thing i hate most is the dumping of rubbish everywhere. Thats what i can't tolerate.

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Perhaps we're both wrong - we should both use google a bit better then.

Extent of Sydney's Bankstown Line closure revealed in government report

There is planned and then there's actual.

Go on, please share the detailed knowledge you have. Maybe my googling skills aren't as good as yours because everything I've found about the urban renewal in relation to Lakemba, Wiley Park, Punchbowl specifically are very vague and don't really say much other than "we're going to do something".... what is the something? What changes are being made?

This is the kind of vagueness I've found to date - these ones are related to Lakemba
    "Retain village feel in the centre. Consider lower heights and green setbacks"
    "Provide community facilities and civic space close to train station"
    "Improve safety in local parks through embellishment and lighting"

There is talk about "Priority Growth Area"... sounds like a buzz word that gets thrown around. What I would like to know is what the masterplan is - what the issues the government feel are holding the area back and how do they plan to address it.... something with substance.

Cabramatta has changed alot since the 90's, projects put in place to curb the crime, embrace and foster the community and that has turned it into what it is today.... what's the plan in Lakemba / Wiley Park / Punchbowl as part of this "Priority Growth Area" strategy?

20. Inov8ive

Yeah thats pretty easy here are the plans. You can click on Lakemba and Wiley Park plans. It shows all the rezoning and spaces they are creating. Resources - Department of Planning and Environment