$1300 for smoke alarm install

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Synergy, 22nd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

In qld got a quote for our PPOR we plan to rent out. 1300 for 7 alarms interconnected and wired in a 2 storey house, this price about right? we got a quote from smoke alarm solutions

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That’s about what we paid. We moved from SAS to Safe Home Services because once we upgraded to the new code out annual fee nearly doubled with SAS.

We’d always been impressed with their service but the increase wasn’t justified so we reluctantly moved on. So far were very happy with the new company.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The old bloke next door paid near $1,000 for 3 that weren't even hard wired :eek:
    Sure they had lithium batteries and bluetooth connected, but even so :confused:
    They only lasted 12 months, but were replaced under warranty (this time).
    Supplied and hard wired, I'd be happy to know I had that sort of peace of mind :cool:

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Search for Sue From Red she seems pretty wise on things smoke detector

wylie likes this.
  5. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Not unreasonable for 7 hard wired

wylie likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'd suggest that it's about the right price.

7. 24594

24594 Member

Sorry I missed this post. My view - too expensive. Could get it done for $ 1,015.00 which includes the Smoke Alarm Controller and with a 10 year warranty. Message me if you want contact details.

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

It's scaremongering, in my opinion.
    The thing doesn't go live for another 18 months (might be less, but it's over 12).

I reckon once there's a sufficient market for more reasonably priced solutions, they'll appear. Early adopters tend to pay more.

By the way, the interconnection is allowed to be wireless, such as ZigBee, isn't it?

Edit: I know these are still over $500 shipped, but there are 10 of them, which you're unlikely to need.
    10 year battery life, but not mains powered. Just wanted to show that we're close to having solutions that are cheaper.

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2020
  9. 24594

24594 Member

Yes, wireless is allowed and the wireless smoke alarms are fully self-sufficient. They don't need any other 3rd party device or service to interconnect with each other. And I'm sorry but I don't agree with you about price. The Clipsal 10 year wireless smoke alarm you could buy for $55.00 a year ago and the same alarm is now almost $100. Prices won't be coming down on smoke alarms. And the fact is that more than 400,000 properties have to be upgraded in the next 14 months with only 290 working days - that's more than 1700 properties a day needing to be upgraded. Anyone waiting for the last 6 months before the deadline simply won't be able to find an electrician to do the work.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

@Sue from Red
    Is there any recycling of old smoke alarms ?

I've always wondered about the little radioactive symbol on the old one's.....

11. 24594

24594 Member

Recycling? Now that's a good question. There should be but there isn't. We have tried to implement a recycling program for ionisation (radioactive) smoke alarms and even met with the Queensland Government Nuclear Disposal Department. We explained we wanted to commence a recycling program across the smoke alarm industry and we were told (and I quote) "what the f..k do you want to do that for".

Their advice - dispose of them in your domestic rubbish bin.

We have more recently tried to organise a free smoke alarm program for the underprivileged but that went nowhere as well. More than 1 million smoke alarms are coming out of rental properties in Queensland and most of them work, and are in date and are fine. We tried to set up a program where these were checked and then distributed for free to the needy and most vulnerable. But this couldn't get the backing from QFES because they were worried about no warranty on the alarms and "what happens if they don't work at some stage in the future".

You've got to love Government attitude when all you are trying to do is the right thing.

Stoffo and spludgey like this.