12.5m wide by 10m deep a big enough footprint

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 19th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has experience / thoughts on footprint size.
    I'm at the 4 townhouse pre planning phase
    So removing from the equation - driveway / 80sqm of backyard private open space, and assuming I will be able to butt up my 4 townhouses side by side down the length of the property.
    I would have building footprint size for each of approx 12.5 wide by 10m deep (125sqm / 13.45 squares).
    Would this be likely enough to get dble car garage, kitchen / living / MB / ensuite & laundry / Powder on downstairs level..... then thinking 2 bedrooms / bathroom /2nd living area upstairs.....

I think it would work

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Block size
    • FSR
    • Site coverage
    • Required width of driveway
    • Double garage for 2 bedders is overkill
    • Visited parking space
    • Carwash bay

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Let's see. So you have the 80sqm of backyard covered but do you need:
    - setback from common driveway (usually you need a 6-6.5m reversing area from the garage, so even though the driveway might be 4m you have to inset the garage an extra 2m which eats into the 120sqm)

Calculations
    120 minus
    36 for carport (6 x 6) 84 sqm left over
    45 for kitchen, living, dining (10 x 45 in a row works at minimum ) 39 sqm left over
    28 master + ensuite + robe (4 x 7) 11 sqm left

Can you fit corridor, laundry, stair well and power into 11 sqm? Probably if you are economical with space and maybe squish some out of the other areas.

It will be tight.

4. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Oh
    still learning - I didnt think of the extra 2 metres for turning / insetting the garage.
    Hoping to end up perhaps having an extra .5-1m wide and deep

Thanks Westy

Westminster likes this.
  5. chesterfield

chesterfield Well-Known Member

Just in reply to this, although development textbooks and typical copy and paste triplex battleaxe designs normally show 6-6.5m reversing area from the garage door... you don't necessarily need this distance provided your design meets the turning circle requirements for the vehicle you are accomodating. For example for a B85 vehicle (minimum allowed for 85% of the vehicles) this distance can be reduced to 5.4m if the garage door width is made wider at say 6m (internal garage width 6.6m) and even down to a minimum of 4.8m if 3.2m wide car bays are used instead of garages, say you wanted to stack all parking together. The reason this is possible is it allows turning to start within the garage/bay rather than reversing straight out first.

Just something to think about as 10m deep is a touch on the small side and if you provide car bays together instead of garages you may be able to increase block sizes and reduce parking area provided. Results in a decent design especially if they are tucked away behind the front townhouse.

Something a little outside the square for you!

Westminster likes this.
  6. Westminster

@chesterfield agreed. I have found some councils don't like to acknowledge this fact though but you are totally correct. The wider the carbay or garage the less the distance needed to reverse out.

7. MTVL

MTVL Member

@chesterfield I know the above is an old post but would you by any chance be able to tell me where I can read about the distances you mention ? Is it a set of rules ? I am trying to find a way to reduce the setback needed for a turning area and the council mentions the 85% turning path design but I cant find anything on it.

Thanks

8. Westminster

The standard you want to look into is AS2890 and the vehicle they use for residential studies is B85 (or 85th percentile) as it caters for most car makes.

There should be a table in AS2890 which has the different widths and how that can impact the aisle. Let me see if I can find one for you

upload_2021-11-29_21-38-1.png
    In this table A and B are the width of the bays, C1/2/3 are different types of measurements of the depth of the bay (ie to a wall, allowing overhang over a garden bed etc) but it shows that a 2.4m wide bay needs 6.2m to reverse but a 3.2m wide bay only needs 5m to reverse.

I'm sure there is a lot of information you can find that also encompasses different length of the bay as well as the width once you google AS2890

9. MTVL

MTVL Member

Great, thanks for that I will research AS2890 :) Pity I cant actually read it without paying $200 (not even at a library, what a scam)

10. MTVL

MTVL Member

Westminster likes this.
  11. MTVL

MTVL Member

Attached Files:

Westminster likes this.
  12. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It's in planning schemes - clause 52 (in Victoria)

Also - have you checked the planning controls - site coverage, garden area, setbacks etc etc

13. MTVL

MTVL Member

Thanks for that, I am in NSW but its good to see it somewhere and if its in the VIC on i would think it will be in the NSW equivalent