11 ways to be unremarkably average

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Property Twins, 8th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I prefer giving back to the community and helping out a mate is a good thing. All the fancy job title in the world means nothing to me. I guess for myself, I have always been the type that had to work harder than everyone else because of the fact that I have never been the type that was gifted in any specific area.

freyja, E.T, S.T and 1 other person like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    That comic pretty much sums up 90% of the population. I love working in an office though.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Me too. Well 'like' is a better word.
    Wouldn't mind working on the beach with a laptop - but I wouldn't get any work done.

5. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

hepb.jpg

ellejay likes this.
  6. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I think everyone must choose their own path. It is easy to think that the bulk of the populace are drones in a number of spheres- property, financial,artistic, fashion, religion or whatever. Exclusivity does not necessarily transfer into "right", "success" or "better". Whilst I agree in the pursuit of excellence I am also all too aware of human frailty, inequity and just general bad luck. Sometimes people will fail due to matters entirely outside of their control. No amount of Tim Robbins seminars will change that. Tell a kid in a Calcutta slum that the reason he is there is because of his poor attitude to success. That doesn't ring true with me.

I liked the cartoon/comic and I agree with many of the points but I would like to explore number 10- don't stand out from the crowd. Why is this a failing? I don't believe it is necessary to stand out or seek the approval of others in your ventures. There are many ways to stand out -but often for the wrong reasons. By seeking success with reference to others is ultimately perhaps doomed to fail. The others- and their approval/thoughts are out of your control. There will always be others better (and worse) than you.
    The push to excel I agree with- but that must be measured as against your own efforts and self.

I'm alright with being boring and normal to the rest of the world. I'll just do my own thing I suppose.

S.T, SerenityNow, HUGH72 and 7 others like this.
  7. E.T

E.T Active Member

I have found a lot more relief from understanding the impermanence of our world and the nature of our thoughts and how they can "imprison" us in false belief

Watching the way my worrying thoughts fade away like water into steam is one of the greatest discoveries I have ever witnessed

Not being bothered by anything anymore no matter what stage of your life your at would have to be one of the greatest triumphs but so much of the world would never really truly understand this and will no doubt take all their imaginary worries to their graves with them.

My point of this ramble is that if you have no attachment to your worries or troubles then you will always live in peace no matter where you are or what is happening in your life, but getting to this stage requires a type of sacrifice no money or external hand can give to you and most would never want to let go of this weight that holds them down

Many people die at 25 but are buried at 70

M & S, aussieB, bobbyj and 4 others like this.
  8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Thanks for the input cu@thetop :). My take on standing out from the crowd was that you don't need to settle for less to keep those around you comfortable. However I see where you are coming from.

9. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Great post @E.T ...certainly something to ponder for me. How did you achieve non attachment?

10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

You mention detaching yourself from worrying multiple times in your post.
    What does this have to do with being a high achiever?
    It's still better to live a worry less life as a high achiever than a worry less life of a low achiever.

Sackie and Property Twins like this.
  11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

And you can't actually see the screen which is a bit counter productive.

14. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Live the life you choose!

There is a difference between choice and decision. Many DECIDE to live a life based on expectations, external influences, self doubts, fear. These are limiting beliefs. Living a life you choose is based on absolute nothingness as a starting point. Why choose it? Just because.

I find happiness is there when you strive/live a life you have chosen, free of reason or fear. Now that can be building multi-billion dollar businesses, or baking a cake. There is no right or wrong. Nobody should tell you your ambitions are too large or too small. Similarly we shouldn't judge others ambitions.

Most Australians are relatively wealthy. However I doubt we compare ourselves to villages in Peru. I thought I was doing well, until I started meeting a lot of under 40's who make $500k+ and talk about $3M+ properties the way I talk about my places in St Marys. Fortunately success encompasses a lot more than just finances, though I admit I can get caught up on my deficit in the financial department at times.

Ouga likes this.
  15. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Really agree with this - there is no right or wrong, whatever makes you happy. We should not judge what makes others happy even when it is something we would never do ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Nov, 2018
  16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I agree.
    I sometimes wonder whether we're the ones that have it the wrong way around. We try so hard to "better" ourselves, yet people in third world countries are on average much happier than we are.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I am thankful to have three sons who are happy to hang around on a Sunday to eat lunch with us.

We can joke about Grandma's stories (mostly made up :rolleyes: even if there is some kernel of truth hidden deep at the core) and we certainly are not the Brady Bunch, but they come for lunch.

All the money in the world wouldn't fill the empty space inside if they weren't happy to be part of our lives.

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Nov, 2018
    Hanison, CU@THETOP, Starlite and 4 others like this.
  18. E.T

E.T Active Member

Yes I understand that, but the reason why people are unhappy is because they attach themselves to the outcome of a situation or dream wether they realise it or not,

There is nothing wrong with going out and building masse of wealth but it's one thing being overwhelmed by your problems and another to simply just observe them

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2015
  19. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

As long as that happiness is not against the law or immoral...

20. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

yes very true ......................

Every Human being is born with the greatest of potential to fulfill our destiny, yet all of us are also born with the "opposite" ( however you can describe that).

Some of us are in places where opportunities to exceed abound, yet the vast majority of us dont touch much outside of our little bubble of comfort zone, until ...............

• Something nudges us
    • Someone drops us in it
    • We drop ourselves in it
    Rarely do humans do their best "for or by themselves"..................... they usually need a hand of some sort to realise what is really possible.

I work with this stuff of human potential each and every day, with myself, family, friends, clients, mentors and mentees, ( probably the same as everyone else) and its a constant slight edge challenge to keep ourselves where we truly would like to be.

( great book by the way - the slight edge by Geoff Olsen)

Potential is just that.

If I want to release that potential I need to choose to do so, no one can do it for me, yet some people are integral in helping me find the "switch" , or as I like to call it " a peek behind the curtain of what could really be"

The 3 most powerful things I learnt in work with peops like TR et al are

1. The price of being "right" is MOST often NOT worth it '
    2. When would NOW be a good time,
    3. I dont know what I dont know.

ta
    rolf

Sackie, M & S, Xenia and 4 others like this.