$100k salary, $50k lifestyle.

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Nadine Cross, 24th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

One of my observations of what people do - tend to fill up their income - as it increases - with more lifestyle spends.
    For investment purposes; it is not sensible to do it.
    Does anyone consciously practice this strategy of living like you earn far less to free up more income for investing?

Terry_w, spludgey and Luckycharm like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My PPOR mortgage + cost of living all up is well under 50k pa. I live a modest lifestyle.

This does not seem to matter to lenders who say no problem with you or your servicing but we dont feel like investment lending so go away as you are rent reliant.

So I spend my money on my animals instead these days. The dog and cats are pretty cheap to keep but the horses are a direct money to poo converter that you shovel cash into endlessly....

Terry_w, splatters, kierank and 2 others like this.
  3. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

I agree with the statement, i myself earn 48k a year and am forced to have second casual jobs.

I am very poor even though I am probably asset rich owning my own PPOR and a another city unit but loans on the Wagga , Bathurst and Wellington properties have made me poor.

I realise I cannot afford to go overseas this year or even next year.
    I am now forced to watch every penny which isnt a bad thing i guess
    But earning such a low income u have to spend less.

I sometimes feel sorry for myself not having want I want.
    I was in Woolworths last week to see gorgeous teddy bears at $15 , I said to myself will I or won't I ?

Nadine Cross likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Scaled up, if I earned $100k, I would spend around $15k total each year. The rest goes on investment. I have spent nearly 2 years doing a big reno (diy) and a build where we have supplied a lot of materials, organised trades and even done some of the work myself. I guess working on properties is my lifestyle, hobby and investment.

Xenia and Nadine Cross like this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hedonic adaption

The effective resistance to not do the usual western ratchet creep is one of the key pre cursors to as to how to retire early.

An active budget management strategy with external accountability will usually provide a much better outcome for the average person.

TA
    Rofl

Spiderman and Kat like this.
  6. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I do this but not for that reason. I simply earn more than I can reasonably spend to meet all my lifestyle desires without feeling ostentatious so my money stash keeps growing to give me even more income in a positive feedback loop. Early retirement was one of the side effects of this philosophy.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Does that 15% of your salary include all your expenses - ie. rent or mortgage on PPOR, insurance, transport, food, clothing, Xmas presents for family etc?

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Sure does. All of that. I don't spend a lot. I had to work out exactly what I spent in a year when I got a loan last year. I think it was $12k all inclusive.

pippen and Terry_w like this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nope.

The wife and I (both retired and self funded pensioners) spent $50K on overseas travel each year ;).

Aaronjod, Marg4000 and Nadine Cross like this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I spend about $250/month in total.

My wife on the other hand...

*blacky Ducks*

Blacky

Kevvy7, Xenia, Scott No Mates and 2 others like this.
  11. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

This question, or some variant, is asked a lot on this forum. I find it self-congratulatory.

Joynz and Noobieboy like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

12k a year probably doesn't even cover all our food. .. don't know how you do it ..

Xenia, MTR, SStar and 3 others like this.
  13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

12k a year might cover the kids extra curricular activities, just.

14. Perthguy

You don't have spud shed ;)

We make a lot of food from scratch. It's cheap to make and tasty too. I really enjoy a good home cooked meal.

EN710, charttv, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If one can't accept a compliment from one self its hard to accept one from another human

Ta

Rolf

MTI, Plutus, EN710 and 5 others like this.
  16. Nadine Cross

I wouldn't call you poor though...you have some assets, but a cashflow problem. I commend you for making that effort where many don't.
    You are sacrificing lifestyle for longer-term wealth building...maybe you have over-sacrificed at this point in time...that takes the fun out of wealth-building.

17. Nadine Cross

I don't view the "living on a lesser wage" mentality as self-congratulatory. I do think though that it is something we should encourage all people to do.
    We are all here on PC to try and create wealth through property, whereas a large percentage of the population are doing nothing about that (creating wealth of any sort other than their Employer Super Guarantee) - other than their 9-5. The 5% (or even 1%) who earn massive incomes from their job don't need to work as hard to get wealthy as the person on average wage or below - which is the majority.
    To live on a much reduced amount of money - even though you could spend more because you can, is the first step towards creating wealth (through property or any other investments).
    So my question was merely to see how many of us here are actually practicing that; because from my observations many don't, and then complain because they can't get ahead in life.

18. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Spend....less....than....you.....earn....

Simple.

How much less equals how much quicker financial independence arrives.

Spiderman, Francesco, paulF and 7 others like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Re self congratulatory I personally think it's very important to recognise your successes and celebrate them. Pat on the back et el is important for the psyche and reinforces the 'success loop mindset'.

paulF, Angel, Air_Bender and 2 others like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree. I will add though that what you then do with the savings is the crucial part. SLTYE is only one part of the equation.

Last edited: 25th Feb, 2018
    Spiderman and Indifference like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia