100 times your money !

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Comrade 1984, 17th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

craigc, Sackie and KateSydney like this.
  2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Reread my post. I didn’t say across the board.
    I went as far to specifically say it doesn’t relate to all industries.

My industry IT for example then I think uni is totally pointless. When industry Certs carry more employment recognition why would anyone study 4 years and 50k HECS debt when certs they could self study in 3 months and pay a few $200 exam fees.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Was it worth it? In short, yes. But only because it's worked out. If it didn't, I could easily have come to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. That's why most people are afraid to try. Because you could end up sacrificing so much with a poor result in the end. There are no guarantees. The only extra motivating factor is if you don't try, you'll almost certainly have to work hard your entire life and retire on little. That's not exactly enticing either. I think a good compromise is balance at some point. In the beginning we had no balance. Slogged hard for a good 12 years. Then once we we're established, we had a much greater balance.

Also, what we've realised over the years is financial wealth really has little to do with living a wealthy life. You could be swimming in oodles of money and be miserable and frustrated every day.

Living a wealthy life for me is all about finding happiness and peace within and spending time and creating memories with your loved ones. Honestly, it has little to do with financial wealth. Having an abundance of money gives you more options in life but it's definitely not necessary to live a wealthy and fulfilling life.

Last edited: 21st Apr, 2021
    spoon, albanga, KateSydney and 3 others like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree about it being a work in progress for a long time . I have a friend who is really successful financially. Years ago I said to him it's very impressive and enviable the position you worked your way to.

He said " if you knew the personal cost I've paid to get here, you wouldn't be saying that".

Its very easy looking in from the outside and thinking X person is living the dream. But would you be prepared to pay the price they did?

In my own case, I've made some very painful sacrifices over the years to stay the course and hope it works out. Life has been kind and I don't have any major regrets so far.

But now its all about family and living each day with gratitude. Celebrating life with them and enjoying the resources we've worked so hard to acquire. Making each day count. The ephemerality of life is something we try to keep in mind to never sweat the small stuff.

craigc, albanga, KateSydney and 2 others like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@kierank everyone I know in my investor circle of friends who have achieved great wealth in RE and business have all paid a high price at one time or another. And been though some very tough times. On top of the tough times the average person will already experience in life. Tbh I think it's unavoidable. Because most people I know often fail, stumble and slog their way to financial success.

There's a saying, " people envy other successful folks in public for what those folks spent many years doing in private".

You see a man or woman in their 30s or 40s with a great lifestyle. And freedom. Home. Fantastic car. All smiles on their faces enjoying their dinner or holiday or just happy in general to have the time together.

What you rarely see is the 20+ years preceding that scenario.

Scott No Mates, skater and kierank like this.
  6. icic

icic Well-Known Member

I think a degree is still very relevant to employment perspective for what I am doing. Most if not all of the jobs that I have applied in the past have expected degree or higher relevant fields of computer science or engineering. That's not to say what have been taught in Uni is very relevant to the role or not. I think its more of a filter process to reduce workload in the recruitment process and that candidates have certain level of intellect and work ethics to make it through a highly technical degree...

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have been lucky and earn a decent income. It only took me a degree, years of sacrifice, paying help debt and juggling full time work, study and kids all at ONCE and then going back and post grad as well. I was so lucky. Or was it just hard work and commitment ?

My wife did same. Started as a teacher, juggled poor pay, casual work while raising kids, having kids, child care juggling and costs and then decided when they were all in high school to complete her masters in leadership. Then followed the path to become an assistant principal then principal. Masters cost a ridiculous amount. She was so lucky to get that role.
    No she wasnt. She worked for it and we all gave up a lot.

Everyone can make choices. Some dont, some do. Almost every overnight success took 20 years and often it needed support of family too. Some do it alone. I know of people who chased a MBA that costs $150K and now lead major companies. One sold his business to ANZ, another sold his self created invention of online shopping to Coles (Shopfast).

Read Elon Musk's biography by Ashlee Vance. He has been working at what he achieved since he was a kid. He dusts himself off and retries but never quits. If his staff surrender to difficulty its their last work day. He doesnt care how often they retry as long as each time they change or learn. I see those starship explode and its his way. Each one is a lesson

27269, craigc, paulF and 4 others like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Happiness vs contentment....... Big difference.... but I will take both:p

Happiness vs. Contentment

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What’s interesting about Musk is..... all the family are insanely successful in business, is it their DNA???

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia