10 months on the market, 15 viewings, unhappy tenants

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Rex, 1st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

We are renting while we save for our next PPoR. The owner has had the house on the market for 10 months now with little interest. It started quite overpriced and the price has slowly dropped, but it's still at least 5% overpriced (I watch the local market closely).

Anyway, we've had about 15 private viewings and home opens during that time, and the agent just keeps wanting to run more home opens. We present the house very well, as we'd want our own tenants to, and we also have a young baby, so the viewings are a big inconvenience. I've let the agent know our growing frustration and I'm sure he's sick of showing the house too.

Well last night I put my foot down and told the agent no, no more home opens, it's become unreasonable. We'll let him show people through by appointment but no more weekend home opens unless they price the property realistically so that it has a reasonable prospect of selling. Otherwise It's just a waste of our time. I know the owner will now be selling at a loss, and I feel for him and agent, but it's become a nightmare.

What does PC think, am I being unreasonable? I would not expect my own tenants to be this patient and cooperative.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If it does sell, are you looking at moving out?
    Are you on a lease? You can use the sales campaign as a break lease request?

The Y-man

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

We have 5 months left on a 6 month lease. Have thought about offering to break it, but we're in no hurry to move plus the owner seems dead keen to keep us and our rental income (I think he's a bit financially squeezed).

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe ask for a rent reduction for your troubles?

The Y-man

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Did you want to buy it? Make a realistic offer

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe you are justified in your stance.

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dont know of the legalites of inspections from a tenant perspective, but how would you react if the roles were reversed?

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

After 10 months, I think you are entitled to say "no more regular open homes but with appropriate notice, private viewings are ok".

How long do the owners expect you to put up with regular open homes?

I've been the vendor in similar situations, and did have a tenant tell me he was tired of the open homes. We allowed him to stop paying rent for several weeks as compensation. We needed him to cooperate as he could easily have sabotaged our efforts to present the house nicely.

And another tenant who did sabotage things (left dirty kitchen, dirty clothes on the floor) was a real estate agent, and knew exactly what he was doing.

Vendor has rights, but so do you.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I think you are being perfectly reasonable after all this time. Dictating that all inspections from now on need to be by appointment with appropriate notice makes sense.

wylie likes this.
  10. Oliver Shane

Oliver Shane Well-Known Member

Well justified - sounds like an unrealistic owner.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh that's the kicker. We like the house, not our dream home but we could live in it for a few years, renovate and/or eventually make it another IP. We offered him market value when it was first listed (10% under his unrealistic asking price at the time). Of course, the owner rejected it, but the market has softened even more since then, and the asking price is now only a whisker above our initial offer. It will certainly sell for less now.
    The agent came crawling back last month to see if we wanted to resubmit our offer, which we declined. There is better stuff on the market now for our budget, not really interested.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Oliver Shane

Oliver Shane Well-Known Member

Another slow moving vendor.....these price falls are putting pressure on decision making, for better or worse..

Rex likes this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are well within your rights to refuse more open houses.

I would only allow them in return for a substantial rent reduction.

Any house that fails to sell in 10 months is overpriced. Sadly, some vendors are too slow to realise this, and even though they do reduce the price in dribs and drabs they fail to keep up with a falling market, and remain overpriced despite reductions.
    Marg

Rex and Oliver Shane like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.