WA 1 million to spend in Perth WA

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Farhan, 4th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Am I going in the right direction?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Farhan

Farhan Well-Known Member

Hi

I want everyones suggestion. I have two properties one in Quattro Queenpark WA 4x3 house brand new and other Is 3x1 bayswater hkuse. I am thinking of selling both and buy something good close to 1 million in a good family suburb. Please guide me guys where should I look for. I have three kids 9, 7 and 5 YO.

Am I going in the right direction?
    Name some good suburbs with big blocks, good investment for next 10 years, good schools and wow factor.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Interesting thread . Following with interest . Hopefully some good replies come .

3. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

if i had that budget, id look around subiaco, leederville, claremont areas, i don't think the blocks are that big on most though. really nice heritage style homes that have been completely renovated in these areas. very close to everything too.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Mount Lawley, Mount Hawthorn or Coolbinia

MTR likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not enough information.

Do you want a 4x2 or 3x2?
    Modern or character?
    Are you prepared to renovate?
    Is a high school zone important to you?
    Do you want subdivision potential for the future?
    Beach, river or stadium?

The problem you are facing is that Queens Park and your old 3x1 in Baysie have dropped a lot in the downturn. Your new million dollar house has not dropped as much.

Still, I see good growth potential for a good house in a good suburb over the long term.

Personally, I would look at Joondanna, Bedford, Bayswater, the nice part of Bassendean, Maylands, Lathlain or Rivervale.

I don't think you will get into Mount Lawley/Inglewood at that price point but it's worth a look.

For south of river, anything in the Rossmoyne SHSZ or Willeton SHSZ.

I don't know beach suburbs well. Maybe Floreat?

charttv likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No
    all good choices probably wont get into Mt lawley or Coolinia though

Mt Hawthorn and. North Perth possible

Perthguy likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No
    Good time to buy primary residence

all good choices probably wont get into Mt lawley or Coolinia though

Mt Hawthorn and. North Perth possible

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2018
  8. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Will you make a profit on either of those sales then I would sell the Quattro. Bayswater has lots of potential. If it's a good size block then I'll hold on to it and use the Quattro money for something else.

9. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Buy in Rossmoyne / Shelley - will always be in demand and access to great schools for nix.

mrdobalina and charttv like this.
  10. JohnPropChat

I would even consider rentvesting and invest in suburbs with good potential.

Mt. Lawley, Bayswater, Vic Park for dev potential sites

For good public schools, Rossmoyne zone and WSHS zone for renting or as a second preference buying

11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Do you prefer private or public schools?

I would try to keep Bayswater too.

Bassendean has nice big blocks near the river.

Carine and Duncraig has nice big blocks and a bigger choice of schools.

12. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

If I had $1m for a PPOR and had kids, I wouldn't touch Bassendean or Bayswater. There is much better places in Perth with $1m. The green line in the graph is Bassendean. On the plus side, Bassendean and Bayswater are improving in terms of numbers of reported crimes.

Just looking at crime alone gives you a small idea of why I wouldn't touch them if I had $1m. crime.png

Farhan likes this.
  13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah, crime is bad but community spirit is good. Have good security. As prices rose in Maylands I noticed more seedy people in Bayswater. Maybe the trend will continue. They really should concentrate on reducing crime in the area with a higher police presence.

Farhan likes this.
  14. JohnPropChat

A few things
    1. Bigger suburb area/population means higher crime rates. Menora/Collbinia for example have very low crime rates. Infact, if you were to zoom in, you'll see that the crime rate is increasing in Rossmoyne and decreasing in the other two suburbs you graphed. May mean something or nothing. Freo has more crime than Kelmscott.
    2. I like Maylands, slightly lower crime than Bayswater but Maylands is a very mixed bag and expensive. Million dollar homes in one street and and sub $200k apartment complexes in the next. Very different demographics. Bayswater is more homogeneous. Basso is different altogether.
    3. Mount lawley has high crime doesn't make it a bad suburb for CG potential. Same goes for Vic Park for example.

Rentvesting to the rescue, buy in suburbs with good CG prospects and rent where you want. In this case, it could be Rossmoyne, Willeton, Churchlands, close to Perth Modern perhaps.

Farhan likes this.
  15. Farhan

Farhan Well-Known Member

Just to add I need 4x2 house

16. Farhan

Farhan Well-Known Member

4x2 home modern or renovated doesn't matter and schools are imlortant thanks.

17. Farhan

Farhan Well-Known Member

I don't care about public or private as long as it's reasonable.

18. Farhan

Farhan Well-Known Member

Thanks . Any suggestions ?

19. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Winthrop, WA 6150
    Great Primary School (or it was I assume still is) Applecross High School zone.
    Near Murdoch Uni/College
    Close to Fremantle and Perth.
    Close to Train Station short drive.

Hillarys walking distance to beach. Private School just South of boat harbour.

A nice house in the hills.

Massive number of options for 1 million.

Farhan likes this.
  20. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I was faced with this decision 4-5 years ago. My budget was only $700,000 -$800,000 though and prices rose during the period. I ruled out Rossmoyne area as I didn’t really like it and too far from friends/family. I loved Churchlands (Suburb) but all I could afford was a 3x1 on 800sqm block at my upper limit and I preferred to be at my lower limit too. I started to feel too that my kids academically would only be about average so it may not be positive being in a high academic school. I drove past Carine High School and noticed all the students were smiling and looked happy. I met the principal at an open day and his kids and a few teachers, etc kids attended also. I ended up sending my kids there and I’m really happy that I did. There will be many improvements to the school over the coming years. Check the website. Every good, affordable private school I contacted wouldn’t even allow me to apply as my daughter wasn’t christened, even though she had attended a catholic school in Yr 8 in another state. Their waiting lists are huge.

Maybe your kids being younger it may be easier to go private and if christened will make a difference. I hear the private schools are good around the area also.

There is some nice homes on big blocks in your price range in Carine and Duncraig.

Mount Lawley High and Hampton High didn’t work well for us.

mrdobalina, Farhan and JohnPropChat like this.