1:4 subdivision loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Sheshop, 13th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I have a home on 2 acres in Brisbane and have DA approval to split into 4 blocks with the existing house being retained on the rear lot. I originally got the OK for the development funding from Westpac business but now they’ve said they aren’t interested as it’s too big for residential lending but too small for commercial. Our serviceability is no issue it’s just finding the right lender that hopefully won’t require me to sell a kidney. Any suggestions?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

St G might do it at 60% LVR

Sheshop likes this.
  3. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    I do one of these every couple of months, can be done to 80%, but the valuation will come in about 75% of what all the properties are worth individually. $395 annual fee, no QS, draw down, line or set up fees. Standard resi interest rates and you can use future rent to show servicing.

4. Sheshop

I was planning to sell the land vacant the realised lvr (I think that’s what it’s called) will be no more than 60%. Does it matter if the blocks are being sold vacant?

5. Simon Moore

I may be missing something here, why do you need finance to sell the vacant blocks with a DA? Are Westpac blocking the subdivision?

I thought you were going to build the three units.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just do the work for subdivision and sell 'off the plan', once you have the first sale get the mortgagee's consent to subdivide and sell at that point.

Simon Moore likes this.
  7. Sheshop

No, I’m subdividing the existing property into 4 lots. 3 will be vacant blocks of land and the other has a house on it (my house). I need money to carry out the civil works (sewer, water, electrical, easement driveway etc).

8. Simon Moore

Ah, I see. When you say driveway, do you mean road? Will all the properties be freehold or is there a Strata involved? Is one builder going to build all three or will they each get their own builder? Need to be careful here or you may find the purchasers are unable to get finance.

9. Sheshop

All freehold blocks on their own titles. The driveway is a shared access strip/road. Each buyer would be free to use whatever builder they like.

10. Simon Moore

Perfect, in that case it's just a matter of finding a lender that will give cash out to fund development costs. I can think of a few I would be 95% sure they would do it, but I would have to check.

11. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

You are doing a land subdivision development - thats pretty simple but resi lenders aren't going to touch it unless it has a construction of a dwelling involved.

This is a commercial loan and the feedback from Westpac is correct in that you don't fit resi and you are too small for commercial. Remember the commercial guys are funding multi unit developments. St George will give you the same response (as will most lenders).

So there are heaps of people like you but its a grey part of the bank that doesn't service these types of scenario or clients.

You will need to use a commercial development friendly lender that will lend on end values.

Your LVR seems ok so just comes down to using the right lender.

lixas4 likes this.
  12. Sheshop

I was hoping to stick to a resi loan situation to avoid massive interest and application costs. The offer I have from a non bank lender is much higher than I’d anticipated and they don’t allow capitalisation of the interest which isn’t ideal. I just want to know if anyone has had luck in a similar situation and know of lenders that might look at it favourably ‍♀️ I’m about to move on to operational works approval but I’m hesitant to outlay anymore money if i can’t get the money to carry out the actual civil works?

13. Sheshop

How do I find the right lender?

14. Simon Moore

Keep contacting lenders or reach out to a broker experienced in the area and leverage their knowledge.

15. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Goldilocks finance .

You use the words hope and luck in terms of finding the right lender, that being on that does the deal on a resi basis I assume.

It makes sense to have a look at that initially, but after being told by rather experienced brokers in the area, that resi is probably not a fit, it may just be that the lender will need to be a non bank or private funder, and the broker finding the best of that style of lending.

Lets get some numbers on the table perhaps, what is the current value of the property as a resi, and what is owed on it ?

How much do you need to finish the subdiv ?

There may be other strategies rather than the obvious

ta
    rolf

16. Sheshop

I owe $560k and I bought the place for $820 18 months ago. Not sure if it’d be worth anymore than that now I’ve got the DA?
    I need about $400 to do the civil works and the very conservative realised value would be $1.9 for house and 3 lots.

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

k, would be worth more im sure on a commercial style val, but not a brazz razzoo in resi terms because the valuer must ignore the value add.

Even getting a resi val per se may be hard due to the DA, Since the valuer may come back and say that the highest value of the land is in actual fact to do the subdivision as such is not suited for residential valuation.

Typically a valuer will come back with a 25% haircut, so assume 1.4 pre subdiv, which would more than likely work with some sort of commercial and/or private funder.

As has been previously said the core issue is lenders will want an exit strategy, that being either some form of presales, and all a showing of the capacity that you can refinance the remaining residential blocks on residential terms.

I was hopeful that your current valuation would be sufficient to do a cash out for the DA works......... alas is is not the case

Ta

rolf

lixas4 likes this.
  18. Simon Moore

Is cash flow an issue?

If you need the valuation based on the subdivided land to keep the LVR acceptable, this will have to be done as a commercial loan. Do you have equity in any other properties?

19. Sheshop

Sadly no equity in other properties.
    I’m hesitant to proceed at the current non bank offer as it requires approx $1700 week repayments and as we are self employed our income fluctuates month to month. If I were to proceed I’d need to save up a good buffer to feel comfortable. The other option is a private lender that offers interest capitalisation but I’ve been told the interest rate is up to 12% and 2% application the DA is staged so I might look at initially doing a 1:2 do you think that would be achievable with a resi lender?

20. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

My opinion is don't bother asking for residential loan, it not a resi loan.

You need a development/commercial loan and it's a big PITA.
    There seems to be a 5mil threshold under which nobody wants to talk to you.

Plenty brokers will say "sure we can find someone..." and then reality hits.

Other options could be a JV or private lending. 10-15% i reckon.
    You could also sell a put option on one or two blocks at about 10% (@10% discount) of value to buffer cash flow.

I would'nt do a 1:2 unless the "2" is as small as the last stage.