1.2m PPOR Inner West SYD

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Chaumander, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chaumander

Chaumander Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

We have plans to buy a PPOR House in Sydney's inner west the next 1-2 years. I wanted to get a gauge on PC's opinion as to whether our budget and wishlist aligns.

Max 1.2m budget. Our idea of the inner west stops at Summer Hill and Hurlstone Park. ie. not Ashfield.

Wishlist:
    - Walking distance to a train station
    - 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom - big enough to fit a shower and bath separately
    - North/east facing
    - Minimum 150m
    - Parking space.... (I know unlikely) or at least quiet street where there will be street parking
    - Backyard, of course!
    - Pretty much ready to move in without need for extensive reno

Is this feasible or am I asking for too much? Should we be considering a townhouse for the location that we want?

Thanks in advance

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Inner west means what burbs pls ?

ta
    rolf

3. Chaumander

Stanmore, Petersham, Summer Hill, Leichhardt, Annandale, Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Hurlstone Park

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

And a search on domain or re shows you....

5. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Hi Chau

In 1-2 years we wouldnt know what will happen to the property, it might go down to a level that's feasible for you or it might pump up to a level out of your range.

Inner West seems like there's always a market for buyers.

6. Chaumander

Appreciate your thoughts Tony.

Just wondering if there’s a strategy that would allow us to get what we want.

Buy a place that needs cosmetic renos for 1-1.1m in the right location and have some work done to it?

7. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

It will depend on your cash reserves by the time you're ready to renovate.

Personally I would buy something that's a little older and renovate it myself as this will save me from paying a premium on a fully renovated property, save a little on stamp duty and also it will e renovated how I would like it. But then you might have the headache during renos.

By saying that, I've had clients that couldn't do it for the following reasons.

- didn't have enough cash to do it after settlement

- banked on the valuation coming back higher to draw equity out at a later stage, which it didn't.

While buying in the Inner west, surely you wouldn't go cheap on the finishes.

8. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I do a bit of work in these areas. You're about $200- $300k short on budget IMO.

lost nomad and Propertunity like this.
  9. fols

fols Well-Known Member

10. Chaumander

What if we give up on having a car space?

Or do we forget the idea of a house and look at townhouses... :(

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Bear in mind also, that in the Inner West, many properties in need of renovation will often sell for more than their renovated counterparts because buyers are prepared to pay a premium to be able to 'put their own stamp on it'.

New Town likes this.
  12. Propertunity

I agree with @fols - what you want is not feasible in today's money.

13. Chaumander

What do you think is feasible if we wanted to stay in the inner west? Which of those criterias would you drop?

14. KFC_8

KFC_8 Active Member

15. Ocean

Ocean New Member

Just a couple more minutes near that area is Earlwood.. you'll find something in your budget there.
    Or else within the areas you mentioned you need at least 1.5.
    Don't get a townhouse..strata etc.. get that house!

Propertunity likes this.
  16. Propertunity

I'd drop the criteria of having $1.2M max to spend and get another $300K from somewhere :)

If that's not possible, then move 1 suburb out where prices are a little lower. Alternatively, drop off some of the other criteria like car space, move in ready, and so on, that you can live with long term.

17. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'd drop the criteria of inner west myself!
    I know it's a very subjective matter, but for me personally, I don't see the appeal at all! Sure, you're close to the city, but other than that, livability is far worse than out in the burbs.

But do whatever makes you happy!

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Try a little harder and pound the pavement, make some offers - if you stay home and ask for opinions on an internet forum, then good luck with the 'search'. And IMHO, there's noting wrong with the likes of Croydon and Burwood. 15 min to Central on the express train.

All of the properties below aren't ideal, but neither's your budget, so something has to give.

That being said, if you inspect enough properties, one seller may crack if your conditions are attractive enough.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-croydon-133395238
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-lewisham-133483802
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-tempe-133185530
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-marrickville-133055446

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2020
  19. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

+1

Surely there are buyers to whom Inner West appeals a lot but even with 1.4m budget;

1. Difficult to get a place which is walkable to train station. Anything more than 1Km is ~10 min which I wont call walkable. Train from Croydon takes 20 mins to Central so effectively its 30mins
    2. DOnt think most places have a gragae, heck its a struggle to even fine a spot on street
    3. Tiny to no backyard
    4. If you have growing family with kids, you may need more space

This I'm saying based on my freind's experiece who sold his 2BR unit in Ashfield and bought a massive 4BR house with big backyard and pool in North Rocks and couldnt be more happy. He takes the Hills bus and the travel time has only increased by 5 mins. He actually prefers this as doing rounds to school with car becomes much more easy as compared to walk them.
    Anyways to each their own! Good luck

spludgey likes this.
  20. Chaumander

Thanks, that's a constructive suggestion :) We've considered there actually but haven't looked deeply into it. It's a big suburb, with quite large price variances between streets. Might need to have a drive around to understand it a bit better.

Definitely going to pound the pavement Lacrim - just wanted to get some perspective so the pounding doesn't go to waste looking for a particular product only to miss out on other opportunities because our search was too narrow/impossible.

Interesting that the consensus seems to be house further away rather than a townhouse in the inner ring.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.