NSW 1.1~1.2m PPOR where BH, WH, Rouse Hills, Carlingford etc?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by rooster123, 18th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

Looking or a 3~4bedder PPOR house in 1.2m mark somewhere in around Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Rouse Hills, Kellyville, Ponds, Carlingford etc

Kids will start school from next year so good school catchment is imp. Our jobs in North Ryde and City.

School wise seems BH is best but house prices are high, next WH looks good too but average schools? Rest area not sure about school.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd try Carlingford first, just avoid anything with the power lines or electrical towers.
    You could try Cherrybrook too - new train line coming soon. Its also good for schools.

3. rooster123

Cherrybrook is unfortunately out for us as in 1.2m we won't get any 3~4 bedder :(
    Tho not sure if Town House in Cherrybrookbis worth at 1.2m? Any thoughts?

4. Gockie

In that case... better focus on those other areas. I wonder... what's entry level Castle Hill going for these days?

5. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the 4 bedroom free standing house market at Cherrybrook has gone insane recently. Lots of Chinese are buying and they just bid, bid and bid. Even I am amazed with the recent sales.

A few years ago Cherrybrook's sale were mostly just standard private treaty. Now just about everything is auctioned off.

An average single level 4 bedder was sold at $1.81 million:
    35 Rossian Place, Cherrybrook, NSW 2126 - Property Details

With your budget the best bet at Cherrybrook would be 3 bedroom duplex:

1/30 Darlington Drive, Cherrybrook, NSW 2126 - Property Details

7/1 Beahan Place, Cherrybrook, NSW 2126 - Property Details

4/20 Greenoaks Ave, Cherrybrook, NSW 2126 - Property Details

However they don't come often as they are now highly sort after as a lot of people are already priced out of free standing 4 bedders. So even townhouse is selling for $1 million dollars, and not even zoned in to Cherrybrook Technology High School:

36/30-34 Greenoaks Avenue Cherrybrook NSW 2126 - Townhouse for Sale #125254870 - realestate.com.au

rooster123 likes this.
  6. noogie60

noogie60 Well-Known Member

One of the main draws of Carlingford and the Hills region are the schools. James Ruse (at Carlingford) and Baulkham Hills High are 2 of the highest ranked schools academically in the state (they are both at the top of the public selective system). Asian parents in particular have been drawn like moths to a flame by them.
    The local primary schools that have traditionally have been the catchment for these schools have also been very good (Beecroft Primary with a longstanding OC program, Carlingford West, etc have all been major feeders for James Ruse).
    Competition to get in and then amongst the students once in is fierce.

Annaelsa likes this.
  7. Gockie

But everybody must remember, living in the area and going to these primary schools does not guarantee that a student will actually be admitted into these high schools.

It's tough for the OP, a few years ago 1.1 or 1.2 could get you something fitting your needs within easy distance to the northern train line (within Meadowbank to Hornsby). I remember when we bought our first freestanding home (in the second half of 2008), we were able to buy within the Cheltenham Girls and Epping Boys catchment on nearly 800 sqm of land.

Me being me, I decided to do a spreadsheet and calculated how much the property would be worth each year using an assumed growth rate. I was amazed/pleased when I saw it theoretically would hit 1mill in not too long (thanks to compounding growth) and thinking that was a heck of a lot of money. But not these days...

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2017
    Annaelsa likes this.
  8. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Vote for Carlingford for good school catchment.

I agree with Gockie living within catchment doesn't guarantee for high school.

Epping Boys catchment map is getting smaller each year. Not all applications will be accepted even though your house is within boundary because placement is limited whereas lots of students want to go in. One of my friend, her house used to be the area but this year her son can't go in because the school remapping again.

9. noogie60

You are right, being in the area doesn't guarantee entry. However being in the area is more preferable if you are aiming for one of these schools - a long commute to school is not fun. Also needless to say if your child is not academically inclined, they won't get in.

I was recently living (renting) in Carlingford in one of the new apartments next to Carlingford court. In the same building, there were plenty of (Asian - they all seemed like they were recent arrivals from mainland China) families who were willing to live in apartments to be in the area.
    It certainly was different to the area growing up - I went to high school in the area and everyone lived in houses (regardless of ethnicity). Most came from local catchments (although some like me did commute from other areas).

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

3 bedder townhouses and houses are going for $800k to $1mill mark within 10 minutes walk of Rouse Hill Town Centre and the new train station. Look in the area around Caddies Boulevarde and Freshwater drive. Will be 30 min by train to Macquarie Park once the metro opens and a 12 minute walk to the train station. I live in this area.

This is one of the most desirable suburbs in the area due to the amenity provided by the town centre which will shortly double in size.

Walking distance to the nearby high school and primary school.

As an alternative a bit further from the station, look in the area near Thomas Francis Way. About a 20 min walk. Quite a few older townhouses there at a lower price point.

As an alternative see if there is anything that suits your needs in the area near the Cudgegong Road Train Station.

rooster123 likes this.
  11. rooster123

Appreciate these insights!
    If we plan for Rouse Hill then we will go for house than TH.
    How are the high school and primary school (if you compare with the Winston Hills) ?

12. wombat777

I don't have kids so don't follow the rankings of schools.

The schools near the town centre are less than 10 years old ( near Iron Bark Ridge Road ). I think there is a Catholic school on Withers Road nearby.

There is also a slight older primary school over on Clower Avenue.

13. noogie60

North Rocks may still be in your price range (at the lower end of the market). To me, it's always been the dark horse

14. Gockie

North Rocks gets a thumbs up from me. I like that area.

15. wombat777

If going for that area, try and get as close as possible to the M2 Busway interchange. These stops are about 15 minutes to Macquarie Park (619 and a few other services) or 35 minutes to the city ( loads of buses going through ).

Barclay Road Interchange: https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...44de5ae86a7dc!8m2!3d-33.7642731!4d151.0150025

Gockie likes this.
  16. noogie60

I would avoid the area around Carlingford Court and Carlingford train station. With the amount of apartments being built, traffic will be a nightmare- the corner of Carlingford and Pennant Hills Road is in my opinion set to resemble the other end of Carlingford Road at Epping where it meets Beecroft Road, which is in permanent gridlock.

spludgey and wombat777 like this.
  17. Gockie

Agree. Ps. My parents are an easy stroll to the Oakes Rd interchange at Carlingford... very easy and comfortable access to the city.

18. Sammy40

Sammy40 Member

Iron bark ridge in Rouse Hill is a very good school. It has got OC as well. I am not sure about the schools in Winston hills.

19. rooster123

With this budget now we are seriously looking for a 4 bedroom house in Rouse Hills. Now we are also getting confused about Kellyville.

Any thoughts?

20. Gockie

Getting further out... how about looking in Ermington/Rydalmere instead? As long as the street is nice and the block is flat... buy something free of bad easements. Later on change the house, whack a duplex on it... whatever.

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2017